Life cycle assessments for Sedus products
Sedus corporate principles state: “Sustainability is part of our corporate culture. Both direct and indirect ecological requirements beyond our company boundaries are taken into account here.” Sedus already complies with the standards of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and the environmental declaration in accordance with EMAS in the new sustainability report , and product-related eco factsheets have now been launched. This makes the life cycle assessment for Sedus products even more transparent.
Why eco factsheets?
With life cycle assessments, also called eco-factsheets or EPI (Environmental Product Information), the idea of sustainability for Sedus products becomes even more transparent. In this way, an environmental balance sheet can be drawn up for each chair, table or cabinet, which takes into account all environmental impacts during the procurement of raw materials, manufacture, use phase and disposal. All important information is bundled here: of what does the product consist? Under what conditions was it made? To what extent is it recyclable? Each product goes through an assessment process over its entire life cycle, which creates maximum transparency. This makes it possible to optimise at key points and to continuously improve the ecological balance sheet for Sedus products as well as the ecological footprint of the company.
What exactly do the eco factsheets say?
The life cycle assessments were prepared in cooperation with the external partner thinkstep and are based on internationally accepted standards. General information about the product, certificates as well as material and recycling composition are included as well as global warming potential or CO2 equivalent.
This is how the factsheets are structured:
- Features of the product
- Production processes
- Proportion of recyclable materials
- Proportion of recyclates used
- Product norms and certificates
- Distribution of materials used
- General statement
- REACH regulation for chemicals (registration, evaluation, approval and restriction)
- Global warming potential in terms of raw material procurement, transport, manufacturing, waste treatment and recovery
- Principles for transport, production, disposal and recycling
- Life cycle assessment in numbers for the three main aspects of environmental impact, resource use and waste categories
The eco factsheets for Sedus products can be viewed and downloaded in the online Sedus Media Centre.